V. Teaching Resources
For up to date resources, please have a look at the online library of the Centre for Sport and Human Rights and the forthcoming Research Guide on Sport and Human Rights, which includes mini-libraries for the different sub-themes of sport and human rights. The list below entails the references used in the teaching note and provides additional literature that can be used to prepare sport and human rights classes or integrated in the reading list for students.
Normative framework/relevant standards
Introductory literature on sport and human rights
MSEs and Human Rights
- Striving for Excellence: Mega-Sporting Events and Human Rights
- Amis, L. (2017). Mega-Sporting Events and Human Rights-A Time for More Teamwork. Business and Human Rights Journal, 2, 135.
- Qatar: Little Progress on Protecting Migrant Workers (2020), Human Rights Watch
- Migrant workers in Qatar face ‘structural racism’ says UN report (2020), The Guardian
- Games Time: Planning and Acting to Respect Human Rights in Mega-Sporting Events
- The Mega-Sporting Event Life-Cycle: Embedding Human Rights from Vision to Legacy
- White Papers Published on Mega-Sporting Events and Human Rights
Gender Equity and Sport
- Brighton plus Helsinki Declaration on Women and Sport
- IOC Gender Equality Review Project
- ALL IN: Towards Gender Balance in Sport
- Sport for Generation Equality: advancing gender equality in and through sport
- Gender Equality in Sports Media
- “Sport Sex” before the European Court of Human Rights
- Intersection of race and gender discrimination in sport - Report of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights
Inclusion and Sport
- Hodges, C. E., Jackson, D., Scullion, R., Thompson, S., & Molesworth, M. (2014). Tracking changes in everyday experiences of disability and disability sport within the context of the 2012 London Paralympics. 1-47
- Thomas, N. (2003). Sport and disability. Sport and society: A student introduction, 105-124.
- Florian Kiuppis (2018) Inclusion in sport: disability and participation, Sport in Society, 21:1, 4-21,
- UEFA and CAFE Good Practice Guide to Creating an Accessible Stadium and Matchday Experience – Access for All
- Qatar’s Inclusive Fan Experience
Children and Sport
- Human Rights in Youth Sport - A Critical Review of Children's Rights in Competitive Sport, by Paulo David (2005)
- Risks to Children in relation to Mega-Sports Events
- Children’s Rights in the Sports Context
- Lang, M., & Hartill, M. (Eds.). (2014). Safeguarding, child protection and abuse in sport: International perspectives in research, policy and practice.
- Why the world needs athlete activists
- Athlete’s Rights and Mega-Sporting Events
- Schwab, B. (2018). Celebrate Humanity: Reconciling Sport and Human Rights through Athlete Activism. J. Legal Aspects Sport, 28, 170.
- Seltmann, M. (2021). Disrupting institutional reproduction? How Olympic athletes challenge the stability of the Olympic Movement. Sport und Gesellschaft, 18(1), 9-37.
Relevant journals featuring sport and human rights related work